On April 25, 1942 the People’s Commissariat of Finance of the USSR published an order about creating a Moscow branch of the mint within the structure of Goznak administration. It was founded on the basis of “Artist – metalist” artel of the Moscow City Metal Repair Union.
The Leningrad Mint evacuated to Krasnokamsk found it hard to execute orders for the production of military awards, orders and medals. The Moscow Branch of the Mint joined in with the work upon the orders.
During the war mostly graduates of the trade schools, women and teenagers worked at the Moscow Branch of the Mint.
There was no melting and rolling section yet, the sterling silver band for orders and medals was supplied by Moscow Plant No. 6 of the People’s Commissariat of Non-Ferrous Metals. The Moscow Mint carried out only punching and stamping, partially filing and bonding.
On July 13, 1942 the Moscow Branch of the Mint was provided with premises at the Moscow Printing Factory. Acquisition of its own tool shop and the whole production site of the Moscow Mint was started at once. Technologies had been developed, tools prepared at the Mint in Krasnokamsk and shipped to the colleagues in Moscow.
Also in 1942 the Moscow Mint started to produce military, and later on the first labour awards.
During the Great Patriotic war of 1941 – 1945 the Krasnokamsk, Leningrad and Moscow Mints of Goznak mastered the technology of production of 23 orders and 23 medals.
During the same period the galvanizing department and the bonding section were launched, enamel roasting in electric furnaces was adopted, cold stamping on friction presses was mastered. Hydrogen brazing of parts was implemented. The tool and stamping workshops were put in operation. A special kind of varnish to protect products against corrosion was developed in co-operation with representatives of the Academy of Science of the USSR and produced here. A minor alteration of thickness of silver medals helped to save 2 370 kg of silver in November 1944.
After the end of the Great Patriotic war the peaceful history of the Moscow Mint started. It contains a lot of great events.
1945. The Artistic Casting Workshop was founded. Products of copper alloy were produced here. But the demand for the products started to decrease, and the workshop was closed at the beginning of the 1950s.
1946. The first medals for the Russian school graduates were produced at the Moscow Mint. The school medals were then produced of gold of 583 purity standard and sterling silver.
1947. The workshop of repairing and manufacture of replacement parts for Goznak’s printing and other machines (stud chains, printing rollers and many others). These parts had been bought abroad before the war. Besides, the workshop produced counting machines for rail yards and motor pools, manual presses for the Ministry of Internal Affairs of the USSR.
1949. The Melting and Rolling-Mill Section was founded at the Moscow Mint in co-operation with the Research Institute of Goznak. It improved the quality of products of precious metals.
1951. At the request of the State Repository, a workshop for restoring items of precious metals preserved at the State Fund of the USSR was organized at the Moscow Mint.
1953. The Ministry of Finance entrusted the Moscow Mint with the production of gold cases under orders of watch plants of the Soviet Union. Technologies of melting, rolling, diamond processing of case parts were developed at the Moscow Mint. The technologies were also applied for the production of diamond tools for the processing of parts and wedding rings. The specialists of the Moscow Mints and the Research Institute developed a technology of gold alloys of Standards 750 and 375.
1956. The Moscow Mint provided plants of the aviation, automobile, medical and other spheres of the national economy of the USSR with diamond tools.
1957. The Moscow Mint received a large order for the production of badges and medals of the World Festival of Youth and Students in Moscow. In co-operation with the Research Institute of Goznak it developed a technology of production of aluminum badges. Technologies of multi-colour anodic treatment and organic enamel filling were applied.
1958. Goznak equipped a diamond-processing plant in Smolensk, a factory in Kiev and “Kristall” plant in Moscow with technological machinery. Machines for diamond faceting and cutting were engineered and produced, cast iron sorts for their polishing and bronze disks for crystal cutting were chosen. A group of specialists of the Moscow Mint received the State Award of the USSR for organizing the diamond production at “Kristall” plant in Moscow.
1965. The specialists of the Moscow Mint developed the construction and technology of numbering machines for the printing factories of Goznak. That has made it possible to stop buying numbering machines from abroad. For the first time in the world practice, the numbering machines were produced using interchangeable parts and units.
1968. The Council of Ministers of the USSR made a decision to build a new production site of the Moscow Mint of Goznak. The construction was started in 1974. In 1969 V.A. Blinkov was appointed Director of the Moscow Mint; he headed the preparation and construction of the industrial complex of the new Moscow Mint.
1975. The Leningrad and Moscow Mints of Goznak started issuing gold investment coins – “one chervonets” (“The Seeder”) to be sold at the foreign market.
1977. A separate workshop was created at the Moscow Mint for the production of coins of the Olympic Games in Moscow. The technology of minting coins of “proof” quality was mastered. Minting presses, electroerosion and polishing machines, annealing furnaces with protective atmosphere were purchased. The tool workshop mastered the technology of tool production, facing, heat treatment, design matting, chrome plating, working surface polishing. The electric spark machining section was put into operation; vacuum furnaces were installed at the thermal section.
1980. The Leningrad and Moscow Mints of Goznak accomplished the programme of production of coins dedicated to the 22nd Olympic Games in Moscow. 45 kinds of coins of gold, platinum, silver and nickel-silver were manufactured.
1981. Prior to the completion of the new building of the Moscow Mint, the power supply building was put into operation, followed by the compressor and gas-preparation stations and the station of reverse water supply.
1982. The construction of the new production complex of the Moscow Mint was accomplished. The mechanical repair department was moved here. The workshops of the new plants were equipped with home and imported equipment.
1983. The subsidiary coin production workshop was put into operation at the Moscow Mint.
1987. The new industrial complex of the Moscow Mint reached the design capacity. Moving the plant from the Moscow Printing Factory to the new premises took five years.
October 29, 1991. The State Award Committee at the President of the Russian Federation was organized. The first state award of the new Russia was the medal “To the Defender of the Free Russia” given to active participants of the events of August 1991. The Moscow Mint produced the award.
1993. The specialists of the Moscow Mint mastered the technology of production of composite (bi-coloured) coins of non-ferrous metal with the face values of 50 and 100 roubles. For the first time in the world practice, the straight-line mechanized method of coin manufacturing with the application of automated product processing systems was used. All stages of the technological process were automated.
The end of 1993. Modernization of the Moscow Mint solved the problem of the lack of cash (coins) in the country.
1996. For the first time in Russia the Moscow Mint produced gold coins with the weight of 1 kilogram.
1997. The Mints of Association “Goznak” started striking the coins of the model of 1997.
1997. The “Conference of Leaders of the Allied Countries” coin with the face value of 100 roubles struck at the Moscow Mint in 1995 won the “Best Silver Coin” category of “The World Coin News” Magazine (USA). The authors and developers of the coin were: artist A.A. Kolodkin, sculptors A.A. Kolodkin, A.S. Khazov, V.M. Kharlamov.
1998. The production of men’s and ladies’ gold watches “Gryphon” and gold bracelets to them was organized at the Moscow Mint. The production was closed in 2011.
1999. The Moscow Mint won the tender for the right of production subsidiary coins (2 and 5 rupees) for India. The metal for the rupees minting – nickel and copper – was supplied by “Norilskiy Nickel”.
Today the Moscow Mint – Branch of Goznak is one of the largest coin and order production sites in the world. The Moscow Mint is the main manufacturer of the Russian subsidiary coins of all face values. The craftsmen of the Moscow Mint carry out orders for the production of state and departmental awards, commemorative medals, badges, souvenirs successfully.